Passport control, whether for immigration or emigration, is a vital checkpoint in the passenger journey, which can have a significant impact on their experience.
As passport control serves numerous passenger categories, such as residents, non-residents, flight crew, and diplomats, the queuing area can be exceedingly complex. Airports must find solutions to overcome the following challenges:
- Moving passengers through passport control as quickly as possible
- Measuring waiting times for different passenger categories and other KPIs
- Obtaining a clear overview of the complex queuing situation
- Improving coordination among all involved airport stakeholders
- Airport operators know that manually capturing data about passenger flows in passport control areas is both inaccurate and labor intensive.
While several technological solutions are available to help airports manage traffic flow, not all of them are sufficiently robust to address operator concerns.
To improve performance in the passport control area, operators must adopt a solution that delivers:
- Automated queue detection that enables airports to dynamically allocate queues and separate different categories of passengers
- Real-time and historical data on KPIs such as queue length and wait time for the different passenger categories
- Process times based on individual passport check stations, automated kiosks and throughput for the entire passport control area
Passengers accept that passport control is a fact of international travel, it does not mean they expect an excessively long process. Managing passenger expectations and fears about missed flights at this critical touchpoint can improve flows throughout the airport terminal.
A smooth experience at passport control can help airport operators:
- Optimize planning: ensure queue areas are appropriately designed to handle travel peaks
- Adjust layouts: provide actionable data on the need and positioning of infrastructure
- Improve stakeholder communication: objective data improves reporting
- Increase airside revenue: happier passengers spend more on leisure offerings
Accurately manage passenger flow
Xovis sensors accurately count passengers and monitor queues in real time, providing invaluable data to optimise passenger flow. Visualise their journey, communicate accurate security wait times and improve overall terminal operations.