Major airports are vast landscapes of travel and commerce, complex ecosystems that must respond to the varied demands of travelers, staff, concessionaires, and government agencies. Terminal transport, which may be in the form of bus, tram or light rail, is growing in complexity along with the airports where they are located.
To learn valuable lessons about passenger flows among different terminal spaces or between concourses, operators relying on manual counting or passenger counting solutions face significant challenges, including:
- Safety issues related to overcrowding at terminal transport onboarding spaces
- Negative passenger sentiment because of sub-optimal transport services
- Excessive energy consumption related to unnecessary terminal transport operations
The need for terminal transport depends on the flow of passengers, be they travelers or staff moving among the different airport spaces. Airport operators can optimize the performance of intra-terminal transport by capturing real-time, objective data at areas surrounding loading/unloading points and within vehicles.
A Passenger Flow Management System (PFMS) can provide operators with the rich, objective data they need to:
- Promote load-balancing among passengers
- Plan frequency of vehicle deployment
- Position staff to assist passengers with directions
- Real-time alerts can keep floor managers informed of situations that risk becoming a disruption, and historical data can help with planning based on observable trends.
Informed passengers are generally happier passengers. Operators empower passengers by communicating real-time wayfinding and wait time data pertaining to intra-terminal transport. With a PFMS able to capture accurate real-time data, operators can:
- Direct passengers to the best vehicle entry point
- Inform passengers of wait times and vehicle arrivals
- Create useful reports about transport profiles between stations
Accurately manage passenger flow
Xovis sensors accurately count passengers and monitor queues in real time, providing invaluable data to optimise passenger flow. Visualise their journey, communicate accurate security wait times and improve overall terminal operations.