Crowded “docking” stations where passengers enter and exit public transportation vehicles can interrupt network performance and create safety issues. Public Transportation Operators (PTOs) working to optimize efficiency want to distribute passengers evenly on platforms based on vehicle occupancy rates.
PTOs need a data capture system that can keep passengers informed of live vehicle occupancy. Manually promoting load-balancing is done, usually based on visual clues, but without a robust automated system, PTOs face:
- Risks associated with excessive platform clustering
- Dissatisfied passengers
- Additional strain on transit station staff and resources
Data capture devices used for Automatic Passenger Counting (APC) can keep PTOs informed about where passengers have entered or exited a vehicle, but only the more sophisticated units can deliver complex data points needed to make a real difference. A data capture device supporting the APC efforts of PTOs must be:
- Based on data with a minimal latency period
- Highly accurate in detecting passengers and objects, such as prams, wheelchairs and bikes
- Possible to immediately transmit to other communication systems
To meet the larger objectives of most PTOs, data capture devices also need to be versatile, resilient, easy to use and able to be integrated with other technologies.
By knowing where passengers and objects are positioned in a vehicle, PTOs can accurately communicate available space to passengers, which allows for:
- Less clustering at the platform and vehicle entry/ exit points
- Smoother vehicle arrivals and departures
- Better passenger experiences
- Lower stress levels for public transportation staff
Optimizing performance of public transportation stations, be it a train, bus or tram terminal, can greatly improve cost management efforts and increase the attractiveness of associated commercial offerings.
Solutions for Transportation
Xovis sensors create real-time passenger counts and are easy to integrate into current counting systems, saving time, money and resources. Find out more.