Check-in areas at airport terminals are highly dynamic and unstructured, and various stakeholders—including airport operators, airlines, and ground handlers—have a stake in check-in procedures.
Knowing that an optimized check-in procedure can positively impact overall efficiency, operators are interested in:
- Expediting check-in procedures and optimizing capacity utilization
- Gauging the performance of queues, lanes, sites and different stakeholders
- Improving cooperation of airlines, ground handlers and other parties
- Meeting the expectations of various stakeholders in a dynamic environment
Collecting reliable KPIs about performance in these areas is only possible with a robust automated system.
A Passenger Flow Management System (PFMS) able to capture real-time data about passenger movements over a large space is an effective and efficient way to measure wait times in dynamic, unstructured check-in situations accurately.
An analytics solution working with vast and complex data points, a PFMS can deliver precise information about:
- Per queue wait times
- Passenger throughputs, outflow rates and arrival patterns
- Process time for queues and/ or single check-in desk
A PFMS that can interconnect with other networks, such as Flight Information Display Systems (FIDS) and the Airport Operational Database (AODB), can provide additional granularity about airlines and flights.
In addition to simplifying the enforcement of Service Level Agreements (SLAs) that typically govern service providers’ performance at different touchpoints, a PFMS deployed at the check-in area is also an excellent tool for reducing the total cost of operations and improving passenger satisfaction.
A great start to the airport experience starts at the check-in desk, but the benefits extend throughout the terminal. The include:
- Optimized number and timing of open check-in counters and desk allocation
- Optimized staff planning and management for ground handlers
- More time for airside commercial offerings
Accurately manage passenger flow
Xovis sensors accurately count passengers and monitor queues in real time, providing invaluable data to optimise passenger flow. Visualise their journey, communicate accurate security wait times and improve overall terminal operations.