Transport to and from an airport may happen by public transport or in a friend's car. But in many cases, an airport journey starts and ends with a taxi or rideshare service. Airport operators know that weary passengers easily look past efforts to improve the experience within the terminal when they encounter a poorly managed taxi rank.
Manual counting or planning based simply on arriving or departing flights are insufficient for effectively responding to fluctuations in demand for taxis and ride share service. When not properly managed, these areas risk:
- Increasing congestion and overcrowding in areas within and outside the terminal
- Creating a negative impression of airport management
- Promoting private transport options, adding strain to terminal infrastructure
A Passenger Flow Management System (PFMS) with indoor and outdoor capacities is a powerful tool for operators who need accurate real-time and historical data to improve planning. Operators can optimize taxi and rideshare deployment by connecting data within and outside the terminal space and generating KPIs that keep relevant staff informed about:
- Passenger flow rates at relevant terminal touchpoints, such as baggage claim
- Available queuing space and structuring
- Queue formation at designated taxi and rideshare-hailing areas
Matching the supply of available taxi and rideshare vehicles available to passenger demand limits that clustering that negatively impacts passenger sentiment and terminal operations.
A PFMS can help terminal operators and third-party taxi and rideshare services maintain high service levels and improve throughput rates. The result is:
- Safer operations and lower liability
- Happier passengers, which can improve the well-being of drivers
- Better overall terminal performance
Accurately manage passenger flow
Xovis sensors accurately count passengers and monitor queues in real time, providing invaluable data to optimise passenger flow. Visualise their journey, communicate accurate security wait times and improve overall terminal operations.