Travel passes and subscriptions, those defined by a specific duration or covered area, are a unique challenge for public transportation operators (PTOs).
Because direct allocation of these funds is difficult to manage, especially when separate PTOs are involved, government agencies or private operators generally allocate funds based on extrapolations from manual counts.
To receive their share of pooled funds, PTOs generally must:
- Present certified reports about counts
- Perform costly and time-consuming manual counts
- Prepare calculations based on complex methodologies
PTOs can meet the changing reporting demands of agencies by deploying an automatic passenger counting (APC) solution that accurately tracks objective passenger data. With a robust APC, a PTO can:
- Deliver highly accurate real-time and historical passenger counting data
- Generate KPI data that can be exported to accessible formats
- Detect objects such as bikes, wheelchairs and strollers
The data from an APC can be easily accessed for internal and external use, removing the uncertainty and staff costs associated with collecting and computing manual counts.
Deploying an APC solution helps PTOs keep up to date with evolving reporting standards, which means more precise fare allocations. But an APC is also an excellent tool for:
- Understanding passenger flows along different routes
- Allocating staff and vehicles to match changes in passenger volumes
- Supporting internal and external budget and spending requests
Solutions for Transportation
Xovis sensors create real-time passenger counts and are easy to integrate into current counting systems, saving time, money and resources. Find out more.