Airport terminals have evolved bare-bones waiting areas into full-service experience centers where passengers can have a gourmet meal, do some luxury shopping or get in a workout between flights. Operators and brands looking to make the most of the commercial opportunities with thin terminal space face many of the same challenges as traditional physical retailers.
Airport concessionaires, from boutique gift shops to duty-free, need accurate, objective data that they can use to address long queues, optimal store layout, and staffing constraints. Without the right tools, airport concessionaires risk:
- Missing out on revenue due to queue abandonment
- Eroding revenue with high operational, particularly staff, costs
- Failing to synthesize product choice and positioning with customer demands
Airport operators globally use a Passenger Flow Management System (PFMS) to monitor performance of multiple regulated and unregulated processes and areas. Outside the aviation industry, retailers use a data analytics protocol to relieve pain points that pose a challenge to business performance.
A robust, highly accurate PFMS can provide airport operators and their commercial tenants with KPIs about:
- Dwell time in different parts of a store, vital for store layout and product positioning
- Queue prediction based on store entries, critical for optimal staff allocation
- Staff exclusion, which improves the accuracy of conversion rate measuring
Operators can use integrated KPIs across a large area to understand shopper behavior once passengers pass security checks. Information about store visits, passersby and conversion rates is vital for operators promoting the terminal space as a commercial center.
With precise real-time data about visitor behavior, airport concessionaires can ensure fewer transactions are lost to queue abandonment. And retailers can rely on historical data for staff planning that matches consumer trends. The result is:
- Lower operational costs and higher revenue
- Shorter testing periods for layout and product selection
- Improved shopping experience and brand loyalty
Accurately manage passenger flow
Xovis sensors accurately count passengers and monitor queues in real time, providing invaluable data to optimise passenger flow. Visualise their journey, communicate accurate security wait times and improve overall terminal operations.